World day for cultural diversity for dialogue and development, ASTI
Cultural diversity or Multiculturalism is defined by as, “the view that cultures, races, and ethnicities, particularly those of minority groups, deserve special acknowledgment of their differences”
The importance of cultural diversity can be interpreted on the basis of these related actions:
- Recognizing that there is a large amount of cultures that exist
- Respecting each other’s differences
- Acknowledging that all cultural expressions are valid
- Valuing what cultures have to bring to the table
- Empowering diverse groups to contribute
- Celebrating differences, not just tolerating them
The population of Cameroon is made up of more than 200 ethnic groups with different customs and traditions, some of which include the BAMILEKE, DOUALA, BASSA, OROCKO, BAYANGUI etc.
ASTI being a center for intercultural competence organized a special event to celebrate this day and it’s students who hail from different ethnic groups and tribes.
SETTING UP THE CONFERENCE HALL FOR THE EVENT